Pointer, UI and sharing business
The SAGE pointer application allows you to:
- Use your laptop mouse to control the cursor on the SAGE display and manipulate windows
- Share your desktop on the display
- Drag and drop multimedia files from a web browser or your computer
- Windows binary: SagePointer-win32 - , size 7.79 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Mac binary (Lion 10.7.x): SagePointer-mac - , size 15.68 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13) or SagePointer-mac2 - , size 15.96 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Mac binary (Snow Leopard 10.6.x): SagePointer-snow - , size 9.64 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Linux (sources, depends on python and wxWidgets): sagePointer linux - sagePointer in source mode, split across two tools, a pure pointer and a sharing/vnc tool. Depends on python and wxWidgets for python , size 1.67 MB, (posted on 2013-08-22)
- Windows binary: Sageui-win - , size 11.88 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Mac binary (Lion 10.7.x): Sageui-mac - , size 43.18 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Mac binary (Snow Leopard 10.6.x): Sageui-snow - , size 13.41 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Linux (sources, depends on python, NumPy and wxWidgets): SAGE UI linux - SAGE UI interface: admin interface in source mode. Depends on python, wcWidgets for python and NumPy. , size 1.88 MB, (posted on 2013-08-22)
High-speed desktop pushing
- Windows binary: Sage Qshare Win32 - , size 13.34 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Mac binary (Mountain Lion 10.8.x): qshare-mac-ml - qshare for MacOSX Mountain Lion 10.8.x , size 9.22 MB, (posted on 2013-02-20)
- Mac binary (Snow Leopard and Lion): Qshare-mac - , size 23.62 MB, (posted on 2012-11-13)
- Unzip the downloaded file
- Run sagePointer.exe
- Go to System Preferences -> Universal Access
- Check “Enable access for assistive devices” (at the bottom of the window)
- Unzip the downloaded file
- Open Sage Pointer.app
Controlling the wall
Choose a screen edge of your laptop to extend to the wall and move your mouse pointer to that edge (top, bottom, left, right)
See video example.
This will capture your laptop mouse cursor and create one on the SAGE display. The same key combo will remove the SAGE cursor so you can regain the control of your desktop.
You may also change the color and the label of your cursor by going to the “Pointer” menu item.
Drag and drop multimedia files
You can drag and drop files (videos, images, pdfs) from your laptop into the box. If the files are big, it may take some time to transfer them over.
Enable Desktop Sharing (setting up VNC)
- Go to System Preferences -> Sharing
- Check “Screen Sharing” (on the left)
- In the section on the right, click “Computer Settings…”
- Check “VNC viewers may control screen with password”
- Type a vnc password… 8 chars max, keep it simple because passwords aren’t encrypted
- Download, install and run TightVNC
- set up a vnc password in TightVNC… 8 chars max, keep it simple because passwords aren’t encrypted
- Go to TightVNC Properties -> Hooks tab -> check “Poll Full Screen” and set 200ms
From SAGE Pointer app, click “Share Desktop” in the SAGE pointer application:
- On Windows (XP, 7, …) and Mac OSX Snow Leopard (10.6.x), type your vnc password in (the one you set up in the previous step)
- On Mac OSX Lion (10.7.x), type your “account” password, enable ‘Use username’ and make sure the username specified is your current one.
- On Mac OSX Lion and Windows 7, one should be able to create a new session with a different valid user account and password (different than the current logged in user).
- Alwasy double-check that the IP specified is your current IP address (or type it in or selected another one from the pulldown list). This is the IP address that SAGE will use to contact your machine.
Get the documentation at http://sage.sagecommons.org/sage-documentation/